Monday, January 30, 2012

Noshing My Way to Solvency



Some of you may have noticed I haven't been writing in my blog on a regular basis. That, my friends is a GOOD SIGN. It means I am employed.

It's only a temporary work situation, but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. Work is work. Work is WONDERFUL.

Maybe you've already figured out this particular facet of my personality: I seize on things like a dog with a bone. When I have work, nothing else exists. All my energies go into the job.

That is why I completed my first assignment a full 14 days ahead of schedule.

Actually, that may have been the nosh.

 
The first day on the job, I found myself in the junk food aisle of my local supermarket, struggling not to take items off the shelf.

I did not succeed.

Here are the items I have purchased to fuel my creativity over the past 12 days:

Those Danish butter cookies that come in decorative tins (a two-fer).



Oreos (for the kids, so they wouldn't ask me for the butter cookies).



Apple chips (to give the illusion of not eating calorific foods). These were the first food item on which I'd ever seen the Halal symbol displayed, which made a funny juxtaposition with the Badatz Kashrut symbol!



Lotus Original Caramelised Biscuits (more about these soon).



Orbit Drops Nature Mint Flavor (I chew these with abandon making everyone in the vicinity plug their ears. The sorbitol causes me horrible IBS symptoms and I eat the darned things anyway).



The last two items are repeating items. I find myself restocking my supplies every day or so.

The Lotus biscuits are the best plain cookie for dunking I have found in Israel to date. I discovered them when my friend and costar from RYS, Avital Macales, brought them as a bread and butter gift when she came for a meal on Shabbes. When I saw my kids fighting over them, I knew they had potential.

They have this wonderful crumbly texture. They melt in your mouth. Bliss. Sheer bliss.


I tell myself that because they are individually-wrapped, I use up calories in peeling off the wrapping. But actually, all I'm really doing is contributing to the landfill problem. *sigh*
 

The noshing is a problem for me. It seems to be something I need to do when I sit at my computer working. But since my work is sedentary and I nosh, I can just about see my middle-aged waistline expanding on a daily basis.

I've had to come to terms with this one fact: carrot sticks just aren't going to do the trick. My nosh needs to feel rewarding. Carrot sticks and the like feel more like a punishment than a privilege.


I did buy myself a package of rice cakes at one point, using, as my rationale, the same idea as for the apple chips, but luckily, Malka, my 18 year-old ate them before I managed to get to them.


Eventually, I'll get the noshing under control. Probably when I feel my job situation is secure...

Are you an on-the-job nosher? What's your preferred nosherei?



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always remember....if you eat too many carrots, you could cause your liver some trouble. Therefore, carrots are poison, and cookies are good for us. I know of no one ever keeling over from cookie poisoning. Now, I'm going to have to go stock up on big bags of peanut butter Bamba. THAT is a nosh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't want to damage my liver, now would I?

      Which reminds me of the following:
      This guy with a wooden eye goes to a dance one night. He sits by himself a long time until at last he sees an attractive girl across the way sitting all alone.

      He decides to ask her to dance, but on the way over notices she has a wooden leg. He walks back to where he'd been sitting, sits down and thinks about it for a while.

      Finally he thinks, 'What the heck,' and crosses the room to ask her to dance.

      He walks up to her and says, "Would you care to dance?" and she says, "Would I, would I?"

      He says, "Peg leg!" and stomps angrily away.

      Delete